We were lucky to be introduced to Donovan Garcia, a well-know kayaker, Bayou Teche expert guide and Louisiana historian, by my friend Jacquie Wenning. What a wonderful experience!
I've spent an evening or two on the Bayou Teche, a s
cenic waterway that "follows a meandering moss-draped, oak tree-lined course through lush vegetation into the geographical heart of Acadiana, winding through rice and sugar cane fields, marsh land and salt dome islands" (from a New Iberia newspaper), but I never dreamed that I'd get into a kayak which would bring me eye level to the gators that live along the shores. But that I did, along with my fellow travelers. When I'd contacted Jacquie to tell her we'd be coming to spend a night in Franklin, and asked if she had any suggestions for afternoon entertainment, her question was, "How adventerous do you want to be?" When I asked Dawn and Veronica if they were interested in kayaking, they quickly said yes. I, however, was much slower in my response. I'd never been in a kayak, canoe or pirogue - I know, can you believe it?!?! Friends who know me well, Sandy and Leslie, even cautioned me against it, worried about me getting eaten by a gater - gulp - I'm brave and I can do it...right? With some trepedation I said Yes.
We arrived at Donovan's home about 6 and were on the bayou in minutes, pairing off to carry each kayak from the house to the water. I was so nervous at first, but by the end, we were all manuvering easily and avoiding collisions with each other.
 |
| Jacquie - the instigator of our fun! |
 |
| Veronica, Dawn & I...seen here NOT crashing into each other (it took a while to learn that) |
 |
| Love this shot! |
We got this photo of the beautiful sunset, but WAIT... what happens after sunset. DARK! ooooh, nooooo. After seeing one alligator swimming ahead of us and hearing one or two splashing startlingly close as we approached their territory, I think we were all a little nervous paddling in the dark and definitely a little tired. We'd paddled for a couple of hours and by Donovan's estimation, 5 miles. What an exciting evening!
 |
I didn't tump over!!
|
No comments:
Post a Comment