Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Day 1 - Creole Nature Trail (turn south at Sulphur)

I think another name for this blog could be: How to Get to New Orleans from Seabrook in 4 days. 
After a visit with my sweet cousin Jan, we hit the Creole Nature Trail, following Highway 27 to Hackberry.  We took a drive through town so I could show Dawn & Veronica a glimpse of where I grew up.  School was in session at dear old HHS.  I would have loved to walk through the halls, but no time today. 

We visited Lanette Stansel, whose husband Kirk, is one of the owners of the world famous Hackberry Rod & Gun Club.  It's great to see one of my home-town businesses doing so well.  The place is really nice, with a beautiful view of the water. 



Veronica may plan a summertime fishing trip for her hubby and sons. 

Next stop, the hiking trail at the Sabine Nature Wildlife Reserve.  I've walked this trail many times and today was perfect day to wander around the marsh.  There was a nice cool breeze blowing, and the number of birds we saw was amazing.  There were many mulberry trees loaded down with fruit and the birds were enjoying their lunch.


We all enjoyed the scenery. It was a relaxing afternoon.


Heron in flight
Dawn reflecting on our tranquil setting
Next we continued along the coast through Holly Beach, where many colorful homes and camps have been built since Hurricanes Rita (2005) and Ike (2008), the combination of which destroyed 65% of Cameron Parish; it's so nice to see the progress.

We were all looking forward to riding the ferry across the ship channel at Cameron, hoping for a sighting of Pinkie, the dolphin who has made the waterway his home.


 We didn't get to see him, but still enjoyed the breezey trip as we crossed into Cameron.  By then it was getting late.  Although we're not trying to keep to a firm schedule, we have a general idea of what we want to see and do, and where we want to be each night. 

We drove through Pintail Wildlife Drive, which is part of the Cameron Prairie Nature Wildlife Reserve.  Again, we saw lots of birds, although not as many as there were during the winter months.  I guess all the geese and ducks have made their way through Louisiana onto their summer homes.  However, we were AMAZED by the number of alligators we saw along this three-mile drive. 

It was exciting to see them slither into the water like you'd see in an old Tarzan movie!
The trail is just a short drive away from where we're spending the night - Brenda and  Jeffery's.  Family time!!! 
 
I think I've finally perfected my crab and shrimp gumbo, and decided to use this trip as an opportunity to test it out.  I spent all day yesterday cooking.  A cool front had blown in the night before, making for a cloudy, windy day...the best for staying in and savoring the smell of the roux browning.  Melissa and I have agreed that our favorite smell is when you add the onions, bell pepper and celery to the roux. I'd invited the whole fam-damily to Brenda and Jeffery's for dinner, so we packed up the gumbo and brought it with us. (I'm certain my wonderful family would have made the drive to Holmwood just to see me, but it never hurts to bribe them with food.)  A good time was had by all and the gumbo pot was empty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment